PDF forms require free Adobe Acrobat Reader. Documents and links will open in a new window. Simply close the window to return to this page.
Visit the Animal Law Section of the State Bar of New Mexico website & Facebook page!
The Michigan State University Animal Legal & Historical Center has the very best animal law resource for both lawyers and laypeople. Their amazing website provides current laws for all 50 states, collections of law and articles about various animal law topics and sample pleadings for many types of cases.
Animal Laws and Ordinances
Federal, State, County and Municipal statutes and ordinances govern our animals. In New Mexico alone, at least nine state agencies deal directly with animals, and 29 of 33 New Mexico counties have animal control laws and approximately 81 New Mexico Municipalities have laws concerning animals. This is a very brief list of some of the laws most commonly called into play. Animal Protection of New Mexico keeps a more complete listing of local laws.
State and County
- New Mexico Consolidated Dog Laws (PDF)
- State of New Mexico: Dogs & Domesticated Animals § 77-1A-1 NMSA (PDF)
- Bernalillo County Animal Control Ordinance (PDF)
- Bernalillo County Animal Control Ordinance en Español (PDF)
- HEART: Albuquerque Humane and Ethical Animal Rules and Treatment Ordinance (PDF)
- Santa Fe County Code Animal Ordinances (PDF)
- San Miguel County Ordinances (PDF)
Dangerous Dog Laws
Pet Trusts and Estates Laws
The number of nonprofits and governmental entities offering assistance to animals is impressive. Again, Animal Protection of New Mexico offers the best compilation of such resources in New Mexico. New Mexico Animal Resources Guide (PDF)
Here are some basics and a sampling of my favorite organizations:
- Animal Emergencies
- Urgent/immediate response to dog attack, dog bite or life-threatening situation for animal or human. Call 911 or in Albuquerque 311.
- Animal Abuse/Domestic Violence
- Companion Animal Rescue Effort hotline: 1 (844) 323-CARE (1-844-323-2273) – Assistance for domestic violence companion animals. Or email: email@example.com.
- RedRover.org – Bringing Animals from Crisis to Care / Domestic
- SafePlaceForPets – Connecting people and pets with a safe escape from domestic violence.
- Bernalillo County Animal Cruelty Task Force – 1 (505) 314-0280
- New Mexico Cruelty Hotline – 1 (877) 5-HUMANE – (1-877-548-6263)
- Equine and Livestock
- Financial Assistance for Veterinary Care
- Animal Advocacy Organizations
- Animal Shelters
- Animal Rescue Organizations
Disclaimer: Judith L. Durzo. Attorney at Law, does not warrant or guarantee the accuracy or completeness of the information contained on this page or that of the sites it links to. The cited statutes, ordinances and codes may not be the most recent or therefore most accurate versions; more current or accurate information may be available.